Argyle Talk Democratic

The ONLY Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 Brighton

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mock Cuncher

avatar

Posts : 4822
Join date : 2011-05-12
Age : 96
Location : Kingsbridge Castles

PostSubject: Brighton   Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:28 am

Join the list of wanky football league clubs at the turn of the century to have since tasted top tier football.

Brighton
Hull
Cardiff
Reading
Swansea
Portsmouth
Burnley
Blackpool
Wigan
Stoke
Watford
Bournemouth


Huddersfield might join them too. FCAL
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Greenskin

avatar

Posts : 4524
Join date : 2011-05-16
Age : 57
Location : Tavistock area

PostSubject: Re: Brighton   Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:10 am

From the more distant past, you could also add Barnsley, Bradford City, Millwall,Bristol City, Carlisle, Northampton-in fact clubs like Southampton, Norwich, Ipswich, Coventry etc were no different at one time. All had at least a moment of glory, happens to everyone except Argyle and Bristol Rovers it would seem.
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi



Posts : 673
Join date : 2013-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Brighton   Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:41 am

At least Bristol Rovers could claim to be the poor relations in their city. What excuse do we have?

I would throw in Burton Albion(average attendance 5133), now performing in the championship and Fletewood Town (3183) who could join them soon.

Adams' constant 'punching above our weight' excuse is bollocks. He should try managing Stanley whose average attendance is 1700. Come to think of it, that's just 10% of Pompey's gates. There's massive mismatches in this league and we are as guilty as anyone.

Is it any wonder that this season is underwhelming.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

avatar

Posts : 4846
Join date : 2014-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Brighton   Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:06 pm

Foreshore Rollo
Back to top Go down
Freathy

avatar

Posts : 3920
Join date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Brighton   Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:30 am

Even Swindon have been in the premier league (93-94 season). And weren't Oxford top flight for a season back in the 1980s

Never happens to Argo - should be the club motto
Back to top Go down
akagreengull

avatar

Posts : 2519
Join date : 2012-01-12
Age : 61
Location : Mutant Abbot

PostSubject: Re: Brighton   Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:15 pm

Freathy wrote:
Even Swindon have been in the premier league (93-94 season).  And weren't Oxford top flight for a season back in the 1980s

Never happens to Argo - should be the club motto

You could also have :
Same old Argo
Punching above our weight
We don't have the money
Too far down the country

Or

We are a load of negative janners with no fecking ambition

Take yer pick laugh
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

avatar

Posts : 3511
Join date : 2014-06-01
Location : Mini Stand.

PostSubject: Re: Brighton   Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:36 pm

#
akagreengull wrote:
Freathy wrote:
Even Swindon have been in the premier league (93-94 season).  And weren't Oxford top flight for a season back in the 1980s

Never happens to Argo - should be the club motto

You could also have :
Same old Argo
Punching above our weight
We don't have the money
Too far down the country

Or

We are a load of negative janners with no fecking ambition

Take yer pick laugh
Jimmy's giving us lashings of fourth division football, we are living the dream ffs! cheers cheers cheers [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. pig pig
Back to top Go down
Hugh Watt
Admin


Posts : 3976
Join date : 2012-01-08
Location : Over there....

PostSubject: Re: Brighton   Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:52 pm

Freathy wrote:
Even Swindon have been in the premier league (93-94 season).  And weren't Oxford top flight for a season back in the 1980s

Never happens to Argo - should be the club motto

I think the late Tyhee Slim summed it up best simply with "it's never us"

_______________________________________
Don't forget to follow us on Twitter @TheOfficial_ATD
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

avatar

Posts : 6187
Join date : 2011-12-03
Age : 26
Location : Nr Panama

PostSubject: Re: Brighton   Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:11 pm

Talking of whom...

Which match is the one designated Tyhee Slim Day?

It must be coming up...
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Herts Pilgrim



Posts : 862
Join date : 2011-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Brighton   Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:18 am

Mock Cuncher wrote:
Join the list of wanky football league clubs at the turn of the century to have since tasted top tier football.

Brighton
Hull
Cardiff
Reading
Swansea
Portsmouth
Burnley
Blackpool
Wigan
Stoke
Watford
Bournemouth


Huddersfield might join them too. FCAL

Overtaken by clubs formerly of similar size, now Plymouth is a much smaller club, the 'not for the likes of us' self sabotage mentality of the fanbase and region as a whole means the club is now firmly in the same bracket as the Mansfield, Gillingham and Northamptons of this world. 4th division and proud.

Soon the same cycle will resume, back up to the Championship, the thick compliant janners shit themselves it's back to division 4 again, rinse and repeat.
No wonder so many support a premier league team, Home Park is an embarrassment - contrast with the fantastic facilities built when in division 4 by Hull & Swansea
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

avatar

Posts : 2609
Join date : 2011-06-23
Age : 64
Location : Britannia Bay South Africa

PostSubject: Re: Brighton   Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:00 am

One of the clubs used to justify Brents' "prudence" by the faithful are Coventry. "Just look at Coventry".

Well when I started supporting Argyle, Coventry were tiddlers but have had donkeys years in the top tier and won the FA Cup in the intervening years. Would that we had been Coventry!
Back to top Go down
Freathy

avatar

Posts : 3920
Join date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Brighton   Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:21 am

Argo's version of the big time is a few seasons of struggling in the 2nd tier. I'm almost completely resigned to never seeing Argo hit the real big time. It seems the endless depressing procession of useless/greedy and self serving owners will keep us shite for evermore. I do actually think we could have done it under Ollie. But then came Staplewallet's infamous "if we're there or there about in Jan, we'll go for it" statement. The rest, as they say, is history.

Also watch Pompey fly up through the divisions again. They'll be Premier League within 4 years.
Back to top Go down
beesrus



Posts : 1146
Join date : 2016-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Brighton   Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:10 pm

"Almost completely resigned ?".
Are you some kind of Aviva Freathers ?  Very Happy
It isn't going to happen. Full stop. The football club represents the area, it's culture and it's inhabitants. Now I quite like some of that dreckly culture, in fact I prefer it to much of the grime going on elsewhere in this turnapenny country, but it doesn't suit football and it certainly isn't going to spawn a premiership football team.
I too thought the above was the defining moment. Probably the best bunch of players cobbled together I have seen in my time, along with an exciting manager who really was up for it, and had the pull. I had to pinch myself when the likes of Hayles signed for us. Only the Frank Lord team of the 60s came so close to the big time. We were almost unbeatable at home then, but just couldn't travel well enough.

Brent isn't a table topper, he's a ponderous bean counter, bottom feeding on assets not wanted by others.
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

avatar

Posts : 3511
Join date : 2014-06-01
Location : Mini Stand.

PostSubject: Re: Brighton   Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:25 pm

Argo will only be on loan to the Third Division for a season, the BrentTwins Jimmy and Community Si, love being a big Tiddler in the Basement Pond.
Relegation will be sold to the simple Village Folk, as sustainable progress. Rolling Eyes geek
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
avatar

Posts : 9639
Join date : 2011-12-22
Age : 55
Location : Berkshire

PostSubject: Re: Brighton   Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:42 pm

akagreengull wrote:
Freathy wrote:
Even Swindon have been in the premier league (93-94 season).  And weren't Oxford top flight for a season back in the 1980s

Never happens to Argo - should be the club motto

You could also have :
Same old Argo
Punching above our weight
We don't have the money Now
Too far down the country

Or

We are a load of negative janners with no fecking ambition

Take yer pick laugh

What about 'Argyle, we are trying our best!'

_______________________________________
I'm one of the common people so says the wife!
(A true GSG Girl)

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17
Back to top Go down
P.O.I

avatar

Posts : 347
Join date : 2017-01-15
Location : Ask De-Liar.

PostSubject: Re: Brighton   Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:20 pm

Pafcintheplace wrote:
Mock Cuncher wrote:
Join the list of wanky football league clubs at the turn of the century to have since tasted top tier football.

Brighton
Hull
Cardiff
Reading
Swansea
Portsmouth
Burnley
Blackpool
Wigan
Stoke
Watford
Bournemouth


Huddersfield might join them too. FCAL

Overtaken by clubs formerly of similar size, now Plymouth is a much smaller club, the 'not for the likes of us' self sabotage mentality of the fanbase and region as a whole means the club is now firmly in the same bracket as the Mansfield, Gillingham and Northamptons of this world. 4th division and proud.

Soon the same cycle will resume, back up to the Championship, the thick compliant janners shit themselves it's back to division 4 again, rinse and repeat.
No wonder so many support a premier league team, Home Park is an embarrassment - contrast with the fantastic facilities built when in division 4 by Hull & Swansea

Thumbs
Back to top Go down
Freathy

avatar

Posts : 3920
Join date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Brighton   Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:02 pm

Charlie Wood wrote:
One of the clubs used to justify Brents' "prudence" by the faithful are Coventry. "Just look at Coventry".

Well when I started supporting Argyle, Coventry were tiddlers but have had donkeys years in the top tier and won the FA Cup in the intervening years. Would that we had been Coventry!

Just seen they're confirmed relegated to this god forsaken division. Although I'm sure they won't have to suffer the insufferable for as long as we've had to - they don't have brent keeping them down.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull

avatar

Posts : 2519
Join date : 2012-01-12
Age : 61
Location : Mutant Abbot

PostSubject: Re: Brighton   Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:34 pm

Another good win for the seagulls, Chris Houghton is such a good manager, bet he love to get one over
Newcastle, given how he was shafted by them.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull

avatar

Posts : 2519
Join date : 2012-01-12
Age : 61
Location : Mutant Abbot

PostSubject: Re: Brighton   Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:37 pm

sufferedsince 68 wrote:
Argo will only be on loan to the Third Division for a season, the BrentTwins Jimmy and Community Si, love being a big Tiddler in the Basement Pond.
Relegation will be sold to the simple Village Folk, as sustainable progress. Rolling Eyes geek

You old cynic you, green Jim will see us alright. laugh
Back to top Go down
Lord Melbury

avatar

Posts : 566
Join date : 2013-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Brighton   Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:15 pm

akagreengull wrote:
Another good win for the seagulls, Chris Houghton is such a good manager, bet he love to get one over
Newcastle, given how he was shafted by them.

Chris Hughton must be one of the most under rated managers ever. Always a cool head & there's never any controversial behaviour or histrionics for the media. Thoroughly deserves any success that come his way.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull

avatar

Posts : 2519
Join date : 2012-01-12
Age : 61
Location : Mutant Abbot

PostSubject: Re: Brighton   Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:26 pm

Lord Melbury wrote:
akagreengull wrote:
Another good win for the seagulls, Chris Houghton is such a good manager, bet he love to get one over
Newcastle, given how he was shafted by them.

Chris Hughton must be one of the most under rated managers ever. Always a cool head & there's never any controversial behaviour or histrionics for the media. Thoroughly deserves any success that come his way.

I'll second that! Thumbs
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

avatar

Posts : 4822
Join date : 2011-05-12
Age : 96
Location : Kingsbridge Castles

PostSubject: Re: Brighton   Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:31 pm

Interesting* looking at the league above. Sheffield united and Bolton must surely go up, so I reckon we'll have the 4th highest gates next year, behind Pompey, Bradford and Charlton. Maybe Blackburns might hold theirs up too. So I'm guessing the budget will be aimed at another playoff push then?





*nothing about looking at the division above is interesting
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Brighton   

Back to top Go down
 
Brighton
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Missing 96-year-old woman from Brighton
» Disgust over Brighton band's Maddie McCann flyer
» Father of 'Babes in the Wood' murder victim arrested

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Argyle Talk Democratic  :: Home Park :: The Mayflower-
Jump to: