Argyle Talk Democratic

The ONLY Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 January transfer window verdict

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Angry

avatar

Posts : 9889
Join date : 2013-08-16

PostSubject: January transfer window verdict   Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:33 pm

here Below is two lists. our squad on day 1 of the window and our squad on the last day. in your view Has it been strengthen in terms of depth and quality or merely like for like replacements?

IMO while we have strengthen up front well aswell as midfield while in goal remains the same we have weaken our defence without mentioning the obvious and that i feel will be a handicap for us. A handicap that will not only prevent us catching up with Doncaster but allow the pack to catch us. I think they call it de ja vu from last season.

Do we have enough depth and strengthen to gt us over the line?
Jan 1st Squad

Goalkeepers (3)
Luke McCormick
Vincent Dorel
Marc McCallum

Defenders ( 8 )
Gary Sawyer
Ben Purrington
Gary Miller
Yann Songo'o
Nauris Bulvitis
Karleigh Osborne
Sonny Bradley
Oscar Threlkeld

Midfielders (6)
Graham Carey
Ryan Donaldson
Connor Smith
David Ijaha
David Fox
Craig Tanner (loan)

Strikers (7)
Louis Rooney
Jordan Slew
Ryan Brunt
Jake Jervis
David Goodwillie
Jimmy Spencer
Arnold Garrita (loan)

Squad total (24)

Players on confusing contracts/YTS players who featured in the first team squad.
Jordan Bentley
Alex Fletcher
Jack Calver
Billy Palfrey
Ben Steer


Feb 1st Squad

Goalkeepers (3)
Luke McCormick
Vincent Dorel
Marc McCallum

Defenders (7)
Gary Sawyer
Oscar Threlkeld
Gary Miller
Yann Songo'o
Nauris Bulvitis
Sonny Bradley
Jakub Sokolík

Midfielders ( 8 )
Graham Carey
Ryan Donaldson
Connor Smith
David Ijaha
David Fox
Craig Tanner (Loan)
Antoni Sarcevic
Matt Kennedy (Loan)

Strikers (7)
Jordan Slew
Ryan Brunt
Jake Jervis
Jimmy Spencer
Nathan Blissett
Arnold Garita (loan)
Ryan Taylor

Squad total (25)


Players on confusing contracts/YTS players who featured in the first team squad.
Jordan Bentley
Alex Fletcher
Jack Calver
Billy Palfrey
Ben Steer
Callum Rose
Back to top Go down
PatDunne



Posts : 1052
Join date : 2013-11-21
Age : 56

PostSubject: Re: January transfer window verdict   Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:40 pm

Spent big, massive backing for DA, huge powerful squad, well done to the award winning Argyle board.
Back to top Go down
Pafcintheplace



Posts : 847
Join date : 2011-10-20

PostSubject: Re: January transfer window verdict   Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:46 pm

Agree with Pat, big money signing from Torquay was a real statement of intent
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

avatar

Posts : 3121
Join date : 2012-01-13
Age : 52
Location : Plymouth

PostSubject: Re: January transfer window verdict   Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:08 pm

Pafcintheplace wrote:
Agree with Pat, big money signing from Torquay was a real statement of intent


Too true Laughing


I am sure Pompey recently signed a striker from non-league football too.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

avatar

Posts : 3761
Join date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: January transfer window verdict   Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:51 am

The football world was rocked by our stunning swoop for non-league no goals Nathan for a bank busting 15k
Back to top Go down
akagreengull

avatar

Posts : 2222
Join date : 2012-01-12
Age : 61
Location : Mutant Abbot

PostSubject: Re: January transfer window verdict   Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:23 am

Austerity argyle rules ok! chickendance
Back to top Go down
Flat_Track_Bully

avatar

Posts : 810
Join date : 2012-04-24

PostSubject: Re: January transfer window verdict   Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:11 pm

Well we lost Goodwillie and Osborne (who didn't do much), Rooney (who hasn't been given much of an opportunity) and Purrington. We've replaced them with Kennedy, Sarcevic, Sokolick, Taylor and Blissett.

You'd have to say that the squad looks stronger. All the newbie's, with the exception of mega bucks Blissett, have a decent level of league experience.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sciencebrainwaves.com/
Angry

avatar

Posts : 9889
Join date : 2013-08-16

PostSubject: Re: January transfer window verdict   Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:20 pm

Flat_Track_Bully wrote:
Well we lost Goodwillie and Osborne (who didn't do much), Rooney (who hasn't been given much of an opportunity) and Purrington. We've replaced them with Kennedy, Sarcevic, Sokolick, Taylor and Blissett.

You'd have to say that the squad looks stronger. All the newbie's, with the exception of mega bucks Blissett, have a decent level of league experience.

If we had replaced Purrington i would agree the squad overall is stronger which its is upfront and midfield. Sawyer is not going to stay fit nor play well enough for us too not miss having a backup in Purrington who can relegate him to the bench if he doesnt improve ala Yeovil.
Back to top Go down
beesrus



Posts : 855
Join date : 2016-11-23

PostSubject: Re: January transfer window verdict   Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:29 pm

A little colder than the last 3 or 4 years. Should kill off a few of those pesky diamond back moths. As to the football, apparently, the local newspaper says it's been an amazing month. That would be the line I would expect. About par for Brent Argyle.
Back to top Go down
Elias

avatar

Posts : 4785
Join date : 2011-12-05
Location : brent out

PostSubject: Re: January transfer window verdict   Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:53 pm

Dismal effort as usual
Back to top Go down
tigertony

avatar

Posts : 1866
Join date : 2012-01-05

PostSubject: Re: January transfer window verdict   Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:57 pm

VillageGreen wrote:
Pafcintheplace wrote:
Agree with Pat, big money signing from Torquay was a real statement of intent


Too true  Laughing


I am sure Pompey recently signed a striker from non-league football too.
As have Southend, Grimsby, Ipswich, Wigan, Blackpool ...... but of course if you include those then the whole discussion falls apart and fireworks are a bit damp Laughing
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

avatar

Posts : 4650
Join date : 2014-03-30

PostSubject: Re: January transfer window verdict   Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:11 am

Yep, coming together nicely, going through the gears 2017 jocolor geek
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

avatar

Posts : 3206
Join date : 2014-06-01
Location : Mini Stand.

PostSubject: Re: January transfer window verdict   Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:57 am

Sell a promising player for peanuts then recruit five cheap bog standard plodders in return..... only at Brents village club.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

avatar

Posts : 3121
Join date : 2012-01-13
Age : 52
Location : Plymouth

PostSubject: Re: January transfer window verdict   Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:50 pm

tigertony wrote:
VillageGreen wrote:
Pafcintheplace wrote:
Agree with Pat, big money signing from Torquay was a real statement of intent


Too true  Laughing


I am sure Pompey recently signed a striker from non-league football too.
As have Southend, Grimsby, Ipswich, Wigan, Blackpool ...... but of course if you include those then the whole discussion falls apart and fireworks are a bit damp Laughing  



Indeed. 

My original Pompey reference was more tongue in cheek.

It is a little galling to see the woeful amount of cash spent this January by Argyle.


Last edited by VillageGreen on Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

avatar

Posts : 3121
Join date : 2012-01-13
Age : 52
Location : Plymouth

PostSubject: Re: January transfer window verdict   Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:00 pm

Angry wrote:
Flat_Track_Bully wrote:
Well we lost Goodwillie and Osborne (who didn't do much), Rooney (who hasn't been given much of an opportunity) and Purrington. We've replaced them with Kennedy, Sarcevic, Sokolick, Taylor and Blissett.

You'd have to say that the squad looks stronger. All the newbie's, with the exception of mega bucks Blissett, have a decent level of league experience.

If we had replaced Purrington i would agree the squad overall is stronger which its is upfront and midfield. Sawyer is not going to stay fit nor play well enough for us too not miss having a backup in Purrington who can relegate him to the bench if he doesnt improve ala Yeovil.


Perhaps Adams may have someone earmarked out as a possible summer transfer to cover the role Purrington had.
Back to top Go down
Angry

avatar

Posts : 9889
Join date : 2013-08-16

PostSubject: Re: January transfer window verdict   Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:04 pm

VillageGreen wrote:
Angry wrote:
Flat_Track_Bully wrote:
Well we lost Goodwillie and Osborne (who didn't do much), Rooney (who hasn't been given much of an opportunity) and Purrington. We've replaced them with Kennedy, Sarcevic, Sokolick, Taylor and Blissett.

You'd have to say that the squad looks stronger. All the newbie's, with the exception of mega bucks Blissett, have a decent level of league experience.

If we had replaced Purrington i would agree the squad overall is stronger which its is upfront and midfield. Sawyer is not going to stay fit nor play well enough for us too not miss having a backup in Purrington who can relegate him to the bench if he doesnt improve ala Yeovil.


Perhaps Adams may have someone earmarked out as a possible summer transfer to cover the role Purrington had.

But what about right now? no good thinking towards the summer when who knows what league we will be in and how small his budget will be.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

avatar

Posts : 3121
Join date : 2012-01-13
Age : 52
Location : Plymouth

PostSubject: Re: January transfer window verdict   Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:01 pm

Angry wrote:
VillageGreen wrote:
Angry wrote:
Flat_Track_Bully wrote:
Well we lost Goodwillie and Osborne (who didn't do much), Rooney (who hasn't been given much of an opportunity) and Purrington. We've replaced them with Kennedy, Sarcevic, Sokolick, Taylor and Blissett.

You'd have to say that the squad looks stronger. All the newbie's, with the exception of mega bucks Blissett, have a decent level of league experience.

If we had replaced Purrington i would agree the squad overall is stronger which its is upfront and midfield. Sawyer is not going to stay fit nor play well enough for us too not miss having a backup in Purrington who can relegate him to the bench if he doesnt improve ala Yeovil.


Perhaps Adams may have someone earmarked out as a possible summer transfer to cover the role Purrington had.

But what about right now? no good thinking towards the summer when who knows what league we will be in and how small his budget will be.


I understand what you are saying and where you are coming from.

There are only two viable answers to what you say :-

1) Brent was still refusing to budge and give Adams any of the money gained from the FA Cup money to include in his January budget

2) When Purrington was sold, there was simply not enough time to get in a replacement. Instead targeting possibles for the summer.

I am as pissed as everyone else is that Brent has not pushed the boat out that little bit harder and given Adams some of the FA Cup money to spend in this month, which would have hopefully helped the greens secure promotion.

Answer number one is still the leader out of the two and should Argyle fail to achieve a rise up to League One, then Brent must be held to count.
Back to top Go down
tigertony

avatar

Posts : 1866
Join date : 2012-01-05

PostSubject: Re: January transfer window verdict   Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:46 am

VillageGreen wrote:
Angry wrote:
VillageGreen wrote:
Angry wrote:
Flat_Track_Bully wrote:
Well we lost Goodwillie and Osborne (who didn't do much), Rooney (who hasn't been given much of an opportunity) and Purrington. We've replaced them with Kennedy, Sarcevic, Sokolick, Taylor and Blissett.

You'd have to say that the squad looks stronger. All the newbie's, with the exception of mega bucks Blissett, have a decent level of league experience.

If we had replaced Purrington i would agree the squad overall is stronger which its is upfront and midfield. Sawyer is not going to stay fit nor play well enough for us too not miss having a backup in Purrington who can relegate him to the bench if he doesnt improve ala Yeovil.


Perhaps Adams may have someone earmarked out as a possible summer transfer to cover the role Purrington had.

But what about right now? no good thinking towards the summer when who knows what league we will be in and how small his budget will be.


I understand what you are saying and where you are coming from.

There are only two viable answers to what you say :-

1) Brent was still refusing to budge and give Adams any of the money gained from the FA Cup money to include in his January budget

2) When Purrington was sold, there was simply not enough time to get in a replacement. Instead targeting possibles for the summer.

I am as pissed as everyone else is that Brent has not pushed the boat out that little bit harder and given Adams some of the FA Cup money to spend in this month, which would have hopefully helped the greens secure promotion.

Answer number one is still the leader out of the two and should Argyle fail to achieve a rise up to League One, then Brent must be held to count.

I'm not a ''full on'' JB out man but after last season I certainly swayed that way. I do however fully agree with the comment above.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull

avatar

Posts : 2222
Join date : 2012-01-12
Age : 61
Location : Mutant Abbot

PostSubject: Re: January transfer window verdict   Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:29 am

VillageGreen wrote:
Angry wrote:
VillageGreen wrote:
Angry wrote:
Flat_Track_Bully wrote:
Well we lost Goodwillie and Osborne (who didn't do much), Rooney (who hasn't been given much of an opportunity) and Purrington. We've replaced them with Kennedy, Sarcevic, Sokolick, Taylor and Blissett.

You'd have to say that the squad looks stronger. All the newbie's, with the exception of mega bucks Blissett, have a decent level of league experience.

If we had replaced Purrington i would agree the squad overall is stronger which its is upfront and midfield. Sawyer is not going to stay fit nor play well enough for us too not miss having a backup in Purrington who can relegate him to the bench if he doesnt improve ala Yeovil.


Perhaps Adams may have someone earmarked out as a possible summer transfer to cover the role Purrington had.

But what about right now? no good thinking towards the summer when who knows what league we will be in and how small his budget will be.


I understand what you are saying and where you are coming from.

There are only two viable answers to what you say :-

1) Brent was still refusing to budge and give Adams any of the money gained from the FA Cup money to include in his January budget

2) When Purrington was sold, there was simply not enough time to get in a replacement. Instead targeting possibles for the summer.

I am as pissed as everyone else is that Brent has not pushed the boat out that little bit harder and given Adams some of the FA Cup money to spend in this month, which would have hopefully helped the greens secure promotion.

Answer number one is still the leader out of the two and should Argyle fail to achieve a rise up to League One, then Brent must be held to count.

Held to account by whom? The gullible compliant eternally grateful fanbase, the Brentherald?
Looks like to me that apart from ATD, the odd dissenter on Pisspotti then things will carry on before if we remain in league two next season.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: January transfer window verdict   

Back to top Go down
 
January transfer window verdict
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Casey Anthony verdict shocks Central Florida
» McCanns abduction theory goes out of the window!
» trial delayed to january
» Blacksmith Tuesday, 8 January 2013
» The Verdict: McCann & anr. vs Bennett

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Argyle Talk Democratic  :: Home Park :: The Mayflower-
Jump to: