Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...

Go down 
+22
Tringreen
Big Robby
PatDunne
Mock Cuncher
Earwegoagain
ConDeLaCreme
zyph
pepsipete
tigertony
Lord Melbury
PlymptonPilgrim
Elias
Moist_Von_Lipwig
Greenskin
mouldyoldgoat
seadog
Czarcasm
Rickler
Les Miserable
VillageGreen
Rollo Tomasi
Sir Francis Drake
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Rollo Tomasi

EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2016 12:57 pm

It's always been obvious that the economy was going to be vulnerable if we voted to leave. The EU is structured in such a way that it's nearly impossible to leave without consequences.

However, if there's a country that is capable of going it alone, then that's us. And what's more the EU know it too.

It's the way you want your country run that's the key in all this. If I don't like a government then I can show my displeasure by voting against it  That is not possible in the EU.

Economies are cyclical and immigration levels will subside, but Sovereignty is forever.

We are well out of it.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2016 6:24 pm

Of course immigration levels will fall. Of course they will. That's a no-brainer.

We'll be a pariah nation with a fecked economy. Why would anybody want to come here if they don't have to?
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2016 6:44 pm

Typical of your thinking - Lower immigration equals fecked economy.

Perhaps selective and controlled immigration equals booming economy?

Or isn't there a pie chart for that?
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2016 7:15 pm

As long a my lad gets German citizenship, dual of course, before we're fecked.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2016 7:44 pm

Hugh Watt wrote:
FWIW. I'm far from a fan of the EU myself. Its bloated, Undemocratic (Like our own House of Lords) and allows mediocre bureaucrats from nations such as Latvia an equal say to the likes of u, France and Germany, that's ridiculous . Like Rickler said earlier, the fact that Nigel Farage can earn £80,000 as MEP highlights its absurdity.

However, leaving would cause utter chaos, we can't negotiate new trade deals until we are free of it which would take a minimum of 2 years. Then we've got years and years of painstaking trade negotiations. Whilst we are negotiating these complex and wide ranging deals, something no one in Government has any experience of due to being part of Europe for the last 30 odd years, we revert to basic WTO status. That means huge tariffs threatening exporting businesses.

The economy went into a flat spin when the result was known, calming only when it was clear that we weren't going any where for the foreseeable future. This idea of activating article 50 slowly wasn't part of the deal at all, not from Camerons lips or Leave campaign slogans such as "Take back control of our borders" or "“Let's give our NHS the £350m the EU takes every week." Taking an unspecified time to start even talking about leaving isn't taking back control at all.

Where that leaves us now is unclear, I believe there was no plan for Brexit because there is no plan to Brexit. Like it or not the referendum result is not constitutionally binding, it would be very easy to bog down in parliament. The Lords feasibly could then block any new legislation or attempt to repeal existing law.

The idea to hold referendum itself was a political decision made by David Cameron to pacify his party and try and head off the threat of UKIP, as soon as DC resigned the result lost its legitimacy. The Coronation of Theresa May and efforts to prevent the pro-brexit leader candidate Andrea Leadsom from being allowed to face a ballot of the party membership are also striking.

At best I would imagine the Government doing what they normally do with things like this. Leave it for someone else to deal with, such as the Heathrow third runway where faced with an acceptance that it was the only realistic option for increased airport capacity in the South East, they commissioned an investigation to report back after an election they expected to lose. In time something else will come along, it always does.

In short I don't think we are going to leave any time soon, there's no appetite for it .

One of those financial organisations have said that the UK will not go into recession now ?. The unemployment figures released were encouraging, but it has been said that vacancies will drop off as the weeks and months drag on.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Going back to article 50, the Government want to be fully exited by the end of 2017. Whether that actually happens is another question.

Last edited by VillageGreen on Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2016 7:47 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Of course immigration levels will fall. Of course they will. That's a no-brainer.

We'll be a pariah nation with a fecked economy. Why would anybody want to come here if they don't have to?

According to several news outlets, immigration from the Eu is still rising.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2016 10:38 pm

Rickler wrote:
Typical of your thinking - Lower immigration equals fecked economy.

Perhaps selective and controlled immigration equals booming economy?

Or isn't there a pie chart for that?

Perhaps.

I doubt it very much but perhaps.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 20, 2016 12:47 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 20, 2016 8:28 pm

2017 they are now saying because the departments aren't ready. This would mean an exit just before the next general election.

As if.

They'll always be an excuse. Just like the third runway at Heathrow or HS2. If the government meant what they said about the referendum, we'd have already got article 50 rolling. Taking back control right?

I remember Lord Tisdale saying that because of the trade deficit between us and the EU, they'd be begging us for free trade deals.

Only they don't seem to be queuing up. In fact no wants to talk to us at all.

Long grass it is then.

So much for taking back control.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 21, 2016 6:51 pm

My MEP sends out a weekly update, he reckons if we start in 2017 we could be out I'm 2019.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 21, 2016 7:13 pm

Hugh Watt wrote:
2017 they are now saying because the departments aren't ready. This would mean an exit just before the next general election.

As if.

They'll always be an excuse. Just like the third runway at Heathrow or HS2. If the government meant what they said about the referendum, we'd have already got article 50 rolling. Taking back control right?

I remember Lord Tisdale saying that because of the trade deficit between us and the EU, they'd be begging us for free trade deals.

Only they don't seem to be queuing up. In fact no wants to talk to us at all.

Long grass it is then.

So much for taking back control.

Wishful thinking and self fulfilling prophesying of the highest order. Presumably by referring to the next General election, you think that a Brexit just prior to it would be a vote loser. Why?
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 24, 2016 6:04 pm

lol

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 24, 2016 9:17 pm

No need to worry about that or anything else the Labour Party may think as they'll never be in power with the current leadership or the Welsh fella
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 24, 2016 9:38 pm

10 years of tory rule await
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 28, 2016 10:20 am

I see there are people who are still trying to scupper the result of the referendum, but May is not having any of it.

Theresa May has ordered every Cabinet minister to come up with a personal blueprint for Brexit amid concerns that civil servants are trying to frustrate Britain’s departure from the European Union.

Former cabinet secretary Gus O'Donnell has said Brexit is not inevitable - especially if the EU undergoes reforms to make it less closely aligned.

Lord O'Donnell also said that whatever happens, the UK will keep some EU laws and rules.

The crossbench peer, who was head of the civil service between 2005 and 2011, told The Times: "Lots of people will say, 'We've had the referendum, we've decided to go out, so that's it, it's all over'.

"But it very much depends what happens to public opinion and whether the EU changes before then.

Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 28, 2016 11:27 am

I have always felt that we should look at all the EU laws and if they are good for this country then incorporate it into British law and those laws that are not good for us then ditch them.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 28, 2016 12:23 pm

Interesting that the Telegraph article refers to pro EU civil servants holding up the process - speaking as an ex civil servant myself, that is just not possible. It's always been the prerogative of Ministers to blame civil servants for their own shortcomings and I think there is likely to be a lot blame shifting before the Brexit negotiations are concluded.

Setting up a new Department is always fraught with difficulties, accusations of poaching the best staff are rife, and there is a certain amount of envy involved - not with the normal rank and file but certainly with the senior managers.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 28, 2016 3:56 pm

PlymptonPilgrim wrote:
Interesting that the Telegraph article refers to pro EU civil servants holding up the process - speaking as an ex civil servant myself, that is just not possible. It's always been the prerogative of Ministers to blame civil servants for their own shortcomings and I think there is likely to be a lot blame shifting before the Brexit negotiations are concluded.

Setting up a new Department is always fraught with difficulties, accusations of poaching the best staff are rife, and there is a certain amount of envy involved - not with the normal rank and file but certainly with the senior managers.

Didn't realise you were a civil servant as well Garry-which department? I was AA-AO-EO before I packed it in, worked mostly for the MOD.
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 28, 2016 4:52 pm

Greenskin wrote:
PlymptonPilgrim wrote:

Didn't realise you were a civil servant as well Garry-which department? I was AA-AO-EO before I packed it in, worked mostly for the MOD.

Mostly DOE as was, finished as a G7 in DCLG.

By the way, came in 5 under in a medal yesterday. Down to 9.6 now.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2016 8:37 pm

PlymptonPilgrim wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
PlymptonPilgrim wrote:

Mostly DOE as was, finished as a G7 in DCLG.

By the way, came in 5 under in a medal yesterday. Down to 9.6 now.

Late bid for the Ryder Cup team Garry?
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 12, 2016 5:26 pm

Big Dave resigns as an MP.

Back to top Go down
Lord Melbury

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 12, 2016 5:36 pm

Les Miserable wrote:

Either there will be another expose' in a Sunday paper or he is about to land a job with his beloved EU.
Glad to see the back of the slimey cnut. Worst UK prime minister ever, even worse than Heath or Blair.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 12, 2016 7:46 pm

Les Miserable wrote:

Completely out of the picture now, says he does not want to get in the way of May and Brexit.

He will go down in history as the PM who gambled and lost. Oh well, he can make his future "top up " cash in lecture and after dinner party speech fees.

Meanwhile, the BCC has downgraded the outlook for the economy.

The BCC has said the UK "would skirt with", but avoid, a recession.

Last edited by VillageGreen on Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 12, 2016 7:53 pm

VillageGreen wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:

Completely out of the picture now, says he does not want to get in the way of May and Brexit.

He will go down in history as the PM who gambled and lost. Oh well, he can make his future "top up " cash in lecture and after dinner party speech fees.

His, and his wife's nests are already well feathered.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 12, 2016 8:02 pm

Les Miserable wrote:
VillageGreen wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:

His, and his wife's nests are already well feathered.

Indeed.

Mr and Mrs Cameron won't be popping down to the local food bank for a few essentials anytime soon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...   EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath... - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

EU referendum...THE RESULT...and aftermath...
Page 3 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next